As a young woman with so many things to worry about it’s easy to put managing your finances on the back burner. 401K? Savings? Investments? Student Loans? Car Payments? Credit Cards? etc. who has time for all of this!?!? I know what your thinking cause i’ve been there, and I actually work in finance! Its hard, its overwhelming, its stressful and at the end of the day I would rather buy clothes. But, we all know now is the time to stop being scared to look at your balances and take control. That clothing purchase would e better appreciated if it wasn’t bought with your last, if you weren’t going into debt, and you knew in the back of your mind you could afford it. Those new shoes may just look better if you skipped out on a few other shoes you wanted to set up a emergency fund. Looking good is just as important as feeling good, and having a good handle on your finances just feels GOOD! A good starting point to try is MINT.COM, a blessing in disguise :-). Read my tips below to find out more about MINT and how it can help you!
Mint is FREE software that allows you to
- Track your current balances for bank accounts, credit cards, students loans, personal loans, etc.
- Set up Budgets to monitor how much you may be spending on things like shopping!
- Monitor you Debt-Ratio
- Stay on top of upcoming bills
Mint helps because
- You can get email alerts just as a friendly reminder
- It allows you to have all of your financial avenues in one spot
- On the go access to your finances when you need to make a decision (THERE IS AN APP FOR THAT)
Tips to get the best out of your Mint account
- Download the app on your phone!
- Spend some time setting up a realistic budget- this will be useful when you need a quick reference or reality check
- Don’t be scared- Mint is a secured site owned by Intuit and your social security number is not required. Real the security documents before you put your information in to ensure your comfortable!
Come back next week for more tips on how to own your finances and career choices as a young professional.